Thursday, November 5, 2015

Circling Circling

Where do vultures sleep?  It seems to be nearby to us.  I see them in the morning when they start to fly up after the sun is rising.  This picture shows me of them just beyond the greenhouse last week.

Their habit is to join together about an hour before sunset to sleep in tall trees - particularly dead, leafless ones.

A group of vultures is called a wake, committee, venue, kettle, or volt.

It seems to me they migrate south as I don't see this phenomenon in the winter.  Perhaps I've been witnessing the gathering of turkey vultures as they get ready to fly south.  They are considered partial migrants in that the northern species migrate, but southern populations generally don't.  It may be that we meet up in Florida in February.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment