Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Fire and Brimstones

Grimsby is a divided town - the Queen Elizabeth Way Highway (QEW) goes right through the middle of the town.  The town is also contained by geography  - on one side is the Lake and on the other is the escarpment.  It is a narrow strip that is Grimsby.

I experienced the constraints of Grimsby's geography last week.  Two transport trucks and a pick up truck crashed and then caught on fire on the Toronto-bound QEW just west of us.  The town was a sea of vehicles inching along the three roads available as alternatives.  I was part of the inchworm movement. Not realizing the calamity, I hopped into my car for the 5 minute drive to the Rotary meeting, and experienced a Toronto gridlock drive of 35 minutes. 


My pictures today relate to activities in Canada's prettiest town - Niagara-on-the-Lake - looking at gardens.  I made a stop at the St. Mark's Church graveyard, as I hadn't checked it out before.  I met a young woman with an interesting summer job.  What is she doing?  She's cleaning the lichen and moss from historic gravestones, typically relating to the war of 1812.  Who would guess  such a summer job might exist.

Yesterday's Roundhouse Park link didn't work.  Here's the correct link from Russ Milland.

No comments:

Post a Comment