Monday, February 27, 2017

Barking Up a Tree

How loud is a typical day? I wondered this when I was walking into the wind yesterday and it seemed to fill up my ears.

Here are the measurements of a blogger who has serious hearing impairment:
"I wake up to the flash of the alarm on my iPhone. (For those of us with hearing loss, there’s no point having an alarm that makes a sound, as we aren’t able to hear it.) The noise in my quiet bedroom room measures 44dB.
I cough (87dB), then I get up and nip to the loo. Flushing the toilet registers 84dB.
I go downstairs to let our dog, Tilly out. As I wait for her to come back in, I run the tap (85dB) and put the kettle on to boil (82dB). I pour water from the kettle into a cup (52dB), and open the door of the refrigerator (65dB).
Then, I empty the dishwasher and put away the items, which make the following sounds:
  • Crockery/Dishes  (89dB)
  • Cutlery (91dB)
  • Glasses clinking together (94dB)
I pop some bread in the toaster and it makes a kind of ‘ticking’ sound as the control knob rotates. (70dB)
I go for my shower (93 dB)then I dry my hair using the hairdryer (95dB).

The loudest sound I was exposed to on this particular day, was the traffic noise when in the car with the windows open, which registered 99dB. The hedge-trimmer was the second loudest sound I encountered at 97dB.  She used the Decibel 10th app.

Her article says that sounds louder than 85 dB can cause permanent hearing loss.  So I guess I met a big noise yesterday.  Here are abstracts of tree bark.
Barking

No comments:

Post a Comment